Subject: Re: What to use for backing up an old, slow system?
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/2005 11:54:00

> >>I tend to agree. Dump should work. If not, try tar. It's going to be
> >>slow no matter what you do though. Might be easier to just take the
> >>disk out and back it up on another machine.
> >

> > It is usually faster to write a single data stream over a single TCP
> > connection.  So tar will beat NFS.
> >
> > I'd setup a .rhosts file then:
> > slow$ tar -c -f- / | rsh fast cat \>archive_file
> >
> > 	David
> >
> Gentlemen,
> I thank each of you for your recommendations.  Tar seemed to be a common
theme
> so I made a tar file, then FTP ed it to a faster computer where I gzipped
it up.
> Keep up the good work!
> Good day,
> 	Glen

 so it seems to me that your old, slow system has enough diskspace to
store the intermediate tar archive(s)

 I like the pipe-thru-rsh based solution because it avoids the local
storage of the intermediate file(s)

 this is particularly handy for flash-disk (e.g. CF) based systems
(must I say embedded systems?)

Stephan