Subject: Re: SATALINK: Sillicon Image 3112 on a CARDBUS
To: Phil Quinton <pquinton@softhome.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2005 09:28:27
Hi--

Phil Quinton wrote:
> In article <4322F5DC.6060103@mac.com>, cswiger@mac.com says...
[ ... ]
>>...the Silicon Image 3112 chipset has some significant hardware problems, you
>>might be happier using a different chipset.
>
> What problems are there on the 3112?

It has multiple hardware defects involving ATA request-size handling (SIIBUG in
ata_sii_allocate() in dev/ata/ata-chipset.c around line ~2300 of the FreeBSD
driver, or what the Linux guys call SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE in their sources), and
there seem to be problems with LBA48 mode if used with various Seagate drives
bigger than ~143GB.

I've also gotten the impression that the chipset is prone to locking up the
entire system under some circumstances, especially under RAID-1 mirroring or
other parallel access cases, because it mishandles interrupts under high load.

--
-Chuck