Subject: Re: how best to deal with problems building packages?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/10/2005 12:56:56
Rob Hamrick wrote:
> I'm new to NetBSD, just recently made my first install on an old iMac.
>
> I've run across a few problems building packages.  I'm wondering:
> what's the best thing to do when this happens.  Ask about it here?
> Report it as a bug with send-pr?  Ask on some other list?

Ask here.  After you become more knowledgeable (to the point where the
answers make sense) you could post questions to the pkgsrc list.  But
that's really more for the pkgsrc machinery.  I don't send-pr until I know
it's a real bug or if someone here suggests it.

> For example, I was trying to build firefox, but make stopped with an
> error having to do with autoconf:
>
> ===> Configuring for firefox-1.0.6nb2
> cd /usr/pkgsrc/www/firefox/work/mozilla && autoconf
> autoconf: not found
> *** Error code 127

That looks like a setup problem of some kind.  Where did you get your
pkgsrc tree and how recently was it updated?

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/www/firefox/README.html

firefox depends on autoconf213 (an older version).  Does pkg_info show it
to be installed?

I'd try installing the current autoconf (/usr/pkgsrc/devel/autoconf) and
start with firefox again.  If that's not good advice, you'll get better
before too long.

HTH.

--jkl