Subject: nsclpcsio(4) in 2.0?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/2005 20:45:52
I'm a little confused about the status of nsclpcsio(4) in the 2.0 release.
 I'd like to monitor the temperature of my (next) Soekris motherboard,
because I think I fried my current one.

The man page says "The nsclpcsio device appeared in NetBSD 2.0", but using
GENERIC, "dmesg |grep nscl" turns up nothing, and

$ sudo envstat -l
envstat: unable to open /dev/sysmon: Operation not supported by device

I note src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC says:

# Hardware monitors

# LM7[89] and compatible hardware monitors
#lm0	at isa?	port 0x290		# other common ports: 0x280, 0x310

# VIA VT82C686A hardware monitor
#viapm*	at pci? dev ? function ?
#viaenv* at viapm?

where -current mentions:

# PC87366 hardware monitor
#nsclpcsio*	at isa?

I think I am the man page disbelieving tonight.  Send-pr?

If I'm right about that, what would be the right step up from 2.0?  I know
(?) I can build a -current kernel, but would the 2.0 userland envstat(8)
recognize /dev/nsclpcsio0 (if that's what it is)?  If not, what would you
recommend?

The box is my mail/www server and ipf/ipnat gateway.  Long uptimes are my
priority for it.

Also, if there's a better way to monitor the temperature than running
envstat in cron, please do tell.

Many thanks.

--jkl

P.S. $ uname -a
NetBSD oak.schemamania.org 2.0 NetBSD 2.0 (GENERIC) #0: Wed Dec  1
10:58:25 UTC 2004
builds@build:/big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/i386/200411300000Z-obj/big
/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386