Subject: Pine pauses a lot
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/26/2005 13:58:31
Using pine from pine-4.62nb2 package on NetBSD/i386 2.0.2.

It pauses a lot. Sometimes I have to wait around five or more seconds.

This often happens when I go to next message, save a message in a new
mailbox, or other things that touch a message.

I didn't have this problem on old Linux system (with older pine). I
assume(d) the problem was that it was doing sync writes.

So I made new filesystems. And mounted with softdep. It appeared that this
helped, but now I see it is pausing a lot again.

Maybe it is just to slow to rewrite the mailbox. I didn't have this
problem under Linux on a 486-66 MHz box with very old and slow 514MB
disks. My current system is faster and has faster, newer disks.

When it is pausing for several seconds, pine is in "nanosleep" state.

Any ideas or any configurations to try get pine to be quicker?

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/