Subject: Re: revison tracking in /etc
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Michael Santos <mike@ethmoid.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/24/2005 09:28:49
On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 03:14:01PM +0200, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> I'm looking for a convenient way to track revisions made
> in system files (e.g. /etc) of several machines by several sysadmins.
> Also it would be nice, though not crucial, to be able to backtrack.

Note that any changes to /etc are tracked in /var/backups/etc.

> I'd like to have roughly the features of CVS.
> I tried it but it seems inappropriate: too much problems with
> binary files, symlinks, etc...

I use cfengine in pkgsrc to do this. Basically, all changes are made to
a CVS server on a central policy host. On an hourly basis, the working
copy on the policy host is updated and, when each cfengine runs on each
managed host, the local copy is checked against the master copy. If a
file is changed, the policy is set up to restart local daemons, etc.

--
Michael Santos
mike@ethmoid.org