Subject: Re: asymetric ping
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2005 22:56:07
Chuck Swiger wrote:
> James K. Lowden wrote:
> > I think I'm having a local Ethernet problem.  I've swapped cables and
> > rebooted the hardware, even used different interfaces to the extent I
> > can, but my LAN is still partly broken, afaict.
> >
> > Ping times one way are < 1 ms; the other way > 60 ms.  In one
> > direction, I can ftp a file at 20% of the Ethernet's raw bit capacity;
> > the other way doesn't work at all.  I'm afraid my quite-new Soekris
> > box is flaking out on me.
>
> You have a 4511 with three NICs?  (I have one of those, too, which seems
> to be  working fine, at least so far.)  Anyway, sounds like the hardware
> is busted,  can you try swapping to using sip1 instead, maybe?

Greetings, fellow Soerkrisoid!  4801, actually, but 3 sip ports, yep.

> If you had a smart switch which could produce per-port stats handy, that
> would  be useful to peek at and see whether it can diagnose the
> misbehavior.  You  might also try disabling autodetect and setting speed
> and duplex directly.  Try  running at 10/HD if you have a 10Mbs hub or
> switch around...

I tried wiring sip0 to a 10Mb hub, no difference.
I switched to sip1 on the 100Mb hub, no difference. :-(

I ran netstat on them both.  Cherry (the Soerkris) doesn't report any
errors, but Oak does:

oak$ netstat -I ex0
Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Colls
ex0   1500  <Link>        00:10:4b:22:15:d8    35028  9505    39037     0
13382
ex0   1500  fe80::        fe80::210:4bff:fe    35028  9505    39037     0
13382
ex0   1500  192.168.1/24  oak                  35028  9505    39037     0
13382

I should mention the problem isn't on Oak.  I have a third box that Oak
has no problem with and that Cherry also does.  And disconnecting that box
from the network has no effect.  :-(

I think my gateway toast is (becoming)?  You wouldn't believe my unluck
with my gateway machines.  I'm on my fifth one in 3 years.  <sob>

I guess the cheapest thing will be to replace the mainboard.  At least I
get to keep the $12 chassis.

Many thanks for your instantaneous answer, too.

Regards,

--jkl