Subject: Re: asymetric ping
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2005 22:32:51
James K. Lowden wrote:
> I think I'm having a local Ethernet problem.  I've swapped cables and
> rebooted the hardware, even used different interfaces to the extent I can,
> but my LAN is still partly broken, afaict.
>
> Ping times one way are < 1 ms; the other way > 60 ms.  In one direction, I
> can ftp a file at 20% of the Ethernet's raw bit capacity; the other way
> doesn't work at all.  I'm afraid my quite-new Soekris box is flaking out
> on me.

You have a 4511 with three NICs?  (I have one of those, too, which seems to be
working fine, at least so far.)  Anyway, sounds like the hardware is busted,
can you try swapping to using sip1 instead, maybe?

If you had a smart switch which could produce per-port stats handy, that would
be useful to peek at and see whether it can diagnose the misbehavior.  You
might also try disabling autodetect and setting speed and duplex directly.  Try
running at 10/HD if you have a 10Mbs hub or switch around...

--
-Chuck