Subject: Re: HowTo move NetBSD 2.0.2 from larger to smaller HardDisk?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2005 21:21:05
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> writes:
> > One difference between newbies and gurus: gurus distrust magic.
> > Filesystems aren't *meant* to grow and shrink, and programs that grow
> > and shrink them almost certainly -- not that I understand them in any
> > detail -- take some shortcuts with your data.
>
> Jim, this is nonsense. I'm sorry to say that, but you're steering
> someone wrong.

I'm happy to be corrected.

> If it is done right and it is logging what it does, it can restart. If
> it is done wrong, well, then you need to back up your data before
> resizing, but sometimes that's still a big win.

The thing is, he's trying avoid that step.  Sure, if you've got a copy of
your data, you don't have to worry about whether the resizer works or not.
 You've got recourse.

> Anyway, this blanket "gurus don't do X" claim is just plain wrong.

Fair enough.  Make that, "I distrust such programs until reliable sources
inform me they're correctly designed an implemented."  But, you know, I
don't run softdeps, either.

--jkl