Subject: Re: webcams?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/19/2005 19:13:08
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 09:29:35AM +0200, Thomas Runge wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>
>>The Creativ Webcam is based on OV511 and has been operational 24/7 for some
>>time without any ill affects.
>
>As you can see on mentioned website
>(http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html), there is no thing
>like THE Creative Webcam. There are plenty and I can count 8 or 9
>chipsets. You are lucky to own one which has an ov511 :)

I'm planning a deployment where we'd like to setup a few webcams,
Because of the runs involved, I don't think usb will work (though I
should probably check exactly what the usb limit is). I'd like to setup
cameras 100 to 200' from their host computer. I was thinking I'd use
POE cameras but to my surprise they all seem over $500 each and it may
be cheaper to connect a usbcam to a soekris box which uses poe from a
switch in the server room... scratch that, none of them seem to support
poe... what _is_ a good solution?

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org