Subject: Re: webcams?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/18/2005 13:38:19
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Richard Rauch wrote:

>> Unfortunetaly, thats true. And there is almost no good documentation
>> for the cameras. Once the docs for the ov511 based cameras leaked,
>> thats why there is quite some software supporting this chip.
>
> The sn9c<soemthing> apparently got reverse-engineered, without
> any help from the designer/manufacturer.

Thats why I sais "no good docs" :)

Linux has quite a lot of drivers for USB cams, but almost all
are either reverse engineered or under NDA, some with binary
only parts.

> The problem is that these aren't products in a sense that I
> can use.  (^&  And the products that I *can* use never say
> "This camera based on the OV511 chip," nor do they mention
> software compatibility beyond MonopolySoft and Macs.

Thats easy:
http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html

This side belongs to the developer of Linux' ov511-driver. He
lists a *lot* of cams. I usually got to eBay and compare with
this side to get the right cam. Unfortunately, these cheap
cameras are not built for 24/7 work. My cameras die after some
month, but they are cheap enough.

--
Tom