Subject: Re: Maxtor magneto-optical drive
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/15/2005 22:51:51
from Sir Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>:

> If DOS, there are two ways to format a MO disk under DOS.  The first was
> treating it as a big floppy, and I'm pretty sure that's not supported
> under NetBSD (or anything else besides DOS).

> The second method is to treat the disk like a Hard Drive with a proper
> MS-DOS partition table &c.  These would be mounted like a USB thumb
> drive.  Probibly the "e" slice.

> Another thing to consider would be the sector size (I may have this term
> wrong).  Looking at the age of this thing, it's probibly 512k so you
> should have no problems in that regard.  NetBSD cannot mount (last time
> I checked, 1.4 time-frame) 2048k sector size MO media.

I too remember NetBSD couldn't mount a disk with sector size != 512 bytes
(not 512k), and the newer, larger Fujitsu DynaMO had sector size 2048 bytes
(not 2948k).  That was around NetBSD v1.6, and I've been meaning to ask if
NetBSD people were working on this with the intention of supporting these
disks, maybe for version 2.0x?  I know Linux now supports this drive and
sector size, and I think I was told FreeBSD also supported this drive and
sector size.

Tom