Subject: Re: Installing to seperate partition
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: frank brierley <frank@brierley.id.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/14/2005 08:44:46
David and Manuel,

Thank you both for your comments.

The new install is intended for the second MBR partition, I've dreams of
using xen.

The "I" flag was set in the MBR phase - partition b, and the MBR
partition marked as netbsd.  During the disklabel phase the second MBR
partition was divided into "/" and swap, no other partitions were to be
available to netbsd.

Partitioning a drive is always a frightening procedure and this was just
the second time I'd used netbsd's install software, the first time was
an empty disk install.  I went back to the begining of the install
procedure several times to re-read the instructions.  The netbsd help
page
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-exinst.html#chap-exinst-partitions
doesn't seem discuss the "I" flag or on how to choose am MBR partition
other than the first.

I've been advised that odd things can occur if you restart the install
software without rebooting the machine.  I may have been a victim of this...

You've confirmed my suspission that setting the "I" flag in fdisk is the
way to tell the install software which MBR partition the new install is
ment for.

What is the effect of the "a" and "d" flags?

Frank