Subject: Re: Maxtor magneto-optical drive
To: Sherman, Michael (GE Energy) <michael.sherman@og.ge.com>
From: Sir Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/2005 19:06:27
Sherman, Michael (GE Energy) wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I need to read some Magneto Optical disks using my old Maxtor MO drive. I was wondering if NetBSD supported those. The model of my drive is MAXTOR RXT-800S
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Michael

It really depends.  What operating system were they created under?

If DOS, there are two ways to format a MO disk under DOS.  The first was
treating it as a big floppy, and I'm pretty sure that's not supported
under NetBSD (or anything else besides DOS).

The second method is to treat the disk like a Hard Drive with a proper
MS-DOS partition table &c.  These would be mounted like a USB thumb
drive.  Probibly the "e" slice.

Another thing to consider would be the sector size (I may have this term
wrong).  Looking at the age of this thing, it's probibly 512k so you
should have no problems in that regard.  NetBSD cannot mount (last time
I checked, 1.4 time-frame) 2048k sector size MO media.

HTH

Clark

--
Sir Clark Frazier Hale I