Subject: CUPS setup questions- almost there (perhaps)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/11/2005 08:13:58
I've been partly successful in setting up cups with ghostscript-eps-
nox11, but not totally there yet.

I have cupsd and slpd up, I can lynx localhost:631 and get to the web
interface, and I have a working (on OSX) samsun-gdi foomatic ppd file
in place in , well, a few places :) just in case, 'cos I find one
place documented (the /usr/local/share.model), and in the other, seem
to be all the files that GS wants:
/usr/pkg/share/ghostscript/8.15/lib/Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd
/usr/local/share/model/Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd
/usr/pkg/share/cups/model/Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd

all are g root:wheel and 644.

I'm pretty sure the last one is the "right" place, despite that it
doesn't match any docs or netbsd-cups howto that I've read online.

going through the web interface, I can't make the samsung-gdi ppd
show up- I have a list of printer manufacturers to choose from, but
samsung isn't there.  Where else am I supposed to put the ppd?

/usr/pkg/share/cups/model
bmcewen# ls
C                       deskjet2.ppd
epson9.ppd              okidata9.ppd            stphoto.ppd
Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd dymo.ppd
laserjet.ppd            stcolor.ppd             stphoto2.ppd
deskjet.ppd             epson24.ppd
okidat24.ppd            stcolor2.ppd            zebra.ppd

going through the command line interface, I tried:

bmcewen# which lpadmin
/usr/pkg/sbin/lpadmin
bmcewen# lpadmin -p SAMSUNG -E -v lpd://192.168.0.105/lp2 -m /usr/pkg/
share/cups/model/Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd
lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: server-error-internal-error
bmcewen#

The printer is on a Belkin 2-port USB printserver, lp2 is the 2nd USB
port and is the queue name.

going through the web interface, I don't get any errors, but I can't
pick the Samsung ppd either.  Said ppd is downloaded from the
foomatic descriptions available from www.linuxprinting.org and is
working great with ghostscript-esp on my OSX box.

do I need to add something else to the setup?  I don't think I need
all the foomatic stuff since I have the ppd already.

It feels like I am close, but missing something...something simple....

I'm running -current on a Cobalt Qube 2.

Thanks for help;

Brian