Subject: Re: USB drives, contiguous kernel memory.
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakollasch@mcleodusa.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2005 16:30:24
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 09:37:31PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 02:13:17AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Thanks for the little script.
> >
> > I'm not even 100% sure that I needed it.  I (re)discovered that the USB
> > drive's MS-DOS filesystem is, for some reason, put on disklabel partition
> > e.  (Why not a, as with CD filesystems?)  I only tried the obvious sd0a
> > prior to running your script.  Now I have sd0e mounted.
>
> IIRC the four mbr partitions become 'e', 'f', 'g' and 'h'.  Any extended
> paritions fill in from 'i' until they run out of the 16 partition limit
> is reached.

Really?

Well, that makes sense.

> I think CDs actuallg get 'a' == 'd' (the whole disk) because of the
> absence of any other partitioning information.

One could argue that the ISO 9660 filesystem implies a partitioning,
perhaps.  (^&  So, /dev/cd0e as the sole partition would make sense
to me.

Speaking for myself, I would expect to use the same disklabel
partition letter for both these cases (and for floppies).  Knowing
that that expectation is wrong, I can deal with it, though.

Thanks.