Subject: Re: USB drives, contiguous kernel memory.
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakollasch@mcleodusa.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2005 02:13:17
Thanks for the little script.

I'm not even 100% sure that I needed it.  I (re)discovered that the USB
drive's MS-DOS filesystem is, for some reason, put on disklabel partition
e.  (Why not a, as with CD filesystems?)  I only tried the obvious sd0a
prior to running your script.  Now I have sd0e mounted.

I agree that it would be nice to have the real issue fixed.  According to
the threads I was able to find on the topic, there is no real need for
the driver to have contiguous memory, it just made the driver simpler to
implement.  Still, for the sake both of drivers that have significant
gains in simplicity (hence maintainability), as well as of drivers that
that might really need contiguous memory, it might be nice if there was
a way to enusre that sufficient memory could be found.

Thanks again for the script.  (^&