Subject: Re: .gz and .tgz kernels (was: Re: SMP - newbie question?)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/02/2005 10:09:51
On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:14:22PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I thought that the .tgz kernels were for sysinst, which assumed gzipped
> tarballs, and the .gz were directly loadable (the bootloader can load
> gzipped kernels).

The kernels exist as installable 'sets' for sysinst to install - much
the same at it installs base.tgz, to avoid special rules the they are
encapsulated as .tgz files on the install media.

Note also that (on some architectures at least) all the .tgz kernel
files contain the file 'netbsd'.  sysinst has code to ensure that only
a single kernel .tgz file is selected.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk