Subject: Re: SMP - newbie question?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/2005 01:33:36
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, John Niven wrote:
>
> > Ah! So I tried that and it says "hw.ncpu = 1"
> >
> > I guess I'm going to have to try and build my own kernel - can't have
> > a perfectly good CPU idle!
>
> You can also try one of the ready-to-use GENERIC.MP kernels. For
> example, look under
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/i386/binary/sets/
> or ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/i386/binary/kernel/
>
> The above is for 2.0.2 although you mentioned 2.0.

By the way, in case it's not obvious, a kernel is just a file (albeit a
very nice file to have).  You can have a dozen kernels in your root
partition, and choose which one to boot by interupting the little spinning
thing before all that cool writing starts scrolling off your screen.  (See
"man boot" and read up on Interactive mode.)

Because it's just a file, you can rename your kernels.  boot(8) looks for
the one called "netbsd" or "netbsd.gz" unless you tell it otherwise.

HTH.

--jkl