Subject: build.sh damaged my system?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/30/2005 00:28:39
I was trying to cross-build a 1.6 release from a 2.0 system.
The build failed, but it seems that build.sh installed the
old, 1.6 crt*.o libraries on my 2.x system.

Ack!

It should have been putting the target libraries in the -M-specified
directory; instead it overwrote system libraries.  Now, e.g., I
cannot build packages on that system.

(It also wiped out a bunch of /usr/include...(sigh).  I *think*
that that is the extent of the damage.)

Is this one of those "well, what did you expect?" things?  I thought
that build.sh, even in 1.6, should handle cross-builds without regressing
the host system.

Several other files have odd datestamps, but I assume that those
are okay.  The *crt* files in /usr/lib are the only ones with
datestamps from when I tried to build a 1.6 release on the
2.0 system.