Subject: Re: sshd doesn't let me in
To: marauder2c <marauder2c@gmx.net>
From: Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/28/2005 20:37:16
Ups,

sorry you are right there.  After changing that
line in sshd_conf I could log in as root.

Without noticeing I always must have used a user
account in the past. And will create one for good
practice.

But I remembered that I also tried as user. So I created
a user-account and, well, sshd doesn't let me in!

Okay, so what's the differance in the way I created the
account? I found the following:

when I create an account with

useradd -s ksh ...... <user>
passwd <user> ...

I /cannot/  login remotely via ssh.

I do locally change the shell: chsh -s csh

Now I /can/ login remotely via ssh!

I change back the shell: chsh -s ksh

I still can log-in remotely. I repeated this with two accounts,
so I don't think that I always misstyped on the first ocasion,
but typed correctly on the second one.

Since this seams quite weired, I want to ask you to repeat this
befor I file a pr. In the past I created the accounts with the default
shell and changed later with usermod (usually to bash). So I never
ran into this.

Rudi