Subject: Re: configuring Ethernet Card (on a IPv4 network)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/28/2005 00:46:58
R.Sivaramakrishna Sharma wrote:
> Hello all :)
> I just installed NetBSD 2.0.2 - but before I proceed,
> i want to make it clear that I am not a Unix newbie -
> I've used Linux since 2.2, FreeBSD 4.7++ before.

[ snip fine NetBSD testimonial]

No arguments here!  :-)

> Now - I had some problems configuring my Ethernet Card
> (RealTek 8139) at rtk0;
>
> 1st thing - the card is detected properly

Right.  The  dmesg output says the kernel configured a device -- rtk0, by
name -- for your hardware at PCI2 dev13.  That's how you know you don't
need another kernel module.  Normally you don't.

> I queried 'ifconfig' using ifconfig -a and these were
> the results -
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> rtk0: Flags=8802<BROADCAST, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST>
> MTU/500
> address: 00:0b:2b:0f:f9:0f
> media: Ethernet autoselect
> status : active
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> Besides I could NOT find any ifconfig.rtk0 or any
> ifconfig* files in /etc/ !!!!

You won't afaik.  Lately sysinst seems to like inserting
"ifconfig_xxxx=w.x.y.z" in rc.conf.  But it does that only if you used the
network to install NetBSD (say, via ftp).  Unless you configure the
network within sysinst, it won't touch your network configuration.

> I did read the afterboot(8) man pages - but found
> little information on how to write my own
> ifconfig.rtk0.

You want "man ifconfig.if". It's a little obscure (but I can't think of a
less obscure name): the '.if' means ".interface", as in the interface you
configure with "ifconfig".  The manual consistently refers to your network
device as an interface, and frequently abbreviates it as "if".  Cf.
ifmcstat and ifwatchd, also things like ipf.conf and tcpdump.

> Another thing, does CSH support tab-completion (like
> the newer BASH shells)?

I dunno.  The first think I do with a new NetBSD system is install bash
from pkgsrc.  Binaries are online at pkgsrc.org.

--jkl