Subject: Re: build just /usr/bin/iconv
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/28/2005 00:20:06
Greg Troxel wrote:
> "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> writes:
>
> > Basically, you told me if I want to build -current, I have to run
> > -current.  OK, well, I've been meaning to start tracking current
> > anyway....
>
> Not at all.  You can build current on 2.0 just fine (if not it's a
> bug).  Just don't install userland parts of it to / without having
> installed and booted a current kernel.  You should feel free to chroot
> into the destdir to test code, with the caveat that you'll lose if new
> kernel features are required.

Ah, I get it.  I was so sloppy with my paraphrase that I got it completely
wrong.

> > I have another box here, a Sun Ultra-5, with, um, 1.6 installed on it.
> >
> > The CVS tree is on a (much faster) i386.
>
> IMHO the shortest way is to do a full cross build on i386, making an
> iso image, and then binary upgrade the sparc-5 with it (cd, netboot).
> ('release' target to build.sh with -m sparc64, or -m sparc if you are
> running 32-bit on the u5, and then cd to src/etc and nbmake-sparc64
> iso-image'.  You need cdrecord or cdrtools-ossdvd installed to get
> mkisofs.)

I might do that.  I have all the parts.  I've never even compiled my own
kernel, much less cross-compiled to the Sparc.  But I know it's supposed
to work, and my i386 is way faster, so that's definitely the route to
take.

I've installed NetBSD on a small menagerie here, and have slowly absorbed
the lesson that binary upgrades of NetBSD are bang easy, at least as far
as unpacking the sets goes, once you realize that the boot loader accepts
a kernel name and doesn't care about the kernel's version.

I moved the sparc to 2.0 [1] on Sunday: I copied the sets to the
filesystem, put the install kernel in /, halt, "boot disk:a
/netbsd-INSTALL.gz" and away we went.  I haven't had a chance to take it
any further yet.

> I use the following script, which makes things look much more
> complicated than they really are.

That's a very helpful reference, thanks.

Ah, well, enough chatter.  Thanks for your help, Greg.  I'll let you know
how it goes.

Regards,

--jkl

[1] because the path from 2.0 to -current has to be shorter than from 1.6.
 For starters, I ran etcupdate and restored postfix to a working state.