Subject: serial console (BIS)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/2005 17:49:37
I trying an USB<->serial adapter to make a serial console.
The adapter is recognized on my i386 -current laptop as:
uplcom0 at uhub1 port 1
uplcom0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
ucom0 at uplcom0

In my /etc/remote I set
console:dv=/dev/dtyU0:br#9600:pa=none:dc:

I plug the adapter into the serial interface of an Indy after having
unpluged the screen and the keyboard.
I run 'tip console' on the laptop and turn the Indy on.
I can see its PROM menu on my laptop but the keyboard has no effect.
I have the same problem with an Alpha.
Let me say that I can easily turn an i386 desktop to a serial
console for the Alpha with a simple null-modem cable.

I tried minicom with no success either.

Any tip?

Regards,
Thierry.