Subject: Migrating from FreeBSD 4.x to NetBSD 2.x
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/2005 17:19:08
I'm probably going to be asking a few questions about this along the
way. I've been running a FreeBSD 4.x server for quite a while now, and
I want to move to NetBSD since I'm more comfortable with doing
upgrades and maintenance and stuff on NetBSD now. Both platforms will
be i386. It's on an SMP box now, but it's a slower one so I'm not sure
if I'm going to reuse that hardware or use a newer box I have.

The first question is, I have a 250 gig disk in the FreeBSD machine
with /home on it, and another filesystem which I use as the source
tree for NetBSD and FreeBSD. Is there any way to just mount these
disks under NetBSD? I have the resources to copy the data, but here
are the hangups:

1. I still haven't found a way to preserve BSD file flags, even though
star says it does it.
2. Can I dump a FreeBSD filesystem and restore it to a NetBSD disk?
I'm not sure about that... If so, that would be no sweat.

Thanks.

Andy