Subject: Re: configuring Ethernet Card (on a IPv4 network)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/2005 07:39:19
In article <20050425110616.94601.qmail@web8205.mail.in.yahoo.com>,
R.Sivaramakrishna Sharma <arunagirinathar@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>Besides I could NOT find any ifconfig.rtk0 or any
>ifconfig* files in /etc/ !!!!
>
>I did read the afterboot(8) man pages - but found
>little information on how to write my own
>ifconfig.rtk0.

You just give it the arguments to ifconfig that you
would normally give:

inet X.Y.Z.W netmask 255.255.?.?

Or if you get your address dynamically you can use dhclient.
The NetBSD guide can help you with both:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/#documentation-guide

>Besides I am still in a dilema as to wether I need to
>'insert' any driver modules as the kernel boots - in
>FBSD it was located in /boot/ - but i cannot find any
>such file in /boot/. Again someone on #netbsd
>(freenode) said netBsd 'may' have (or not have) the
>feature of dynamically loadable kernel modules (???).

We do, but it is not extensively used because it is
primitive and most of the drivers are already in
the kernel.

>Another thing, does CSH support tab-completion (like
>the newer BASH shells)?

You'll need to install tcsh from pkgsrc.

christos