Subject: Re: build just /usr/bin/iconv
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/2005 13:19:45
Greg Troxel wrote:
> "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> writes:
>
> > Then I thought, I can be a boy scout and fix it, so I'm pulled
> > /usr/src/usr.bin from CVS.  "cd src/usr.bin/iconv/ && make" works.
> > Everything seems OK.
> >
> > My question is, do I have to build the whole thing first?  I don't
> > want to, because I'd rather not check out the branch I'm using.  I'd
> > rather try to build only /usr/bin/iconv from current sources on my
> > netbsd-2-0-RELEASE box.
>
> Strictly speaking, you should use a -current toolchain to build
> -current sources.  If you have all of the -current sources, you can
> first use build.sh to build tools, and then use those tools to build
> libc (if you change src/lib/libc/iconv/*) and /usr/bin/iconv.

Thanks for your guidance, Greg.  I'm glad I asked; I hadn't thought of
toolchain gotchas.

Basically, you told me if I want to build -current, I have to run
-current.  OK, well, I've been meaning to start tracking current
anyway....

I have another box here, a Sun Ultra-5, with, um, 1.6 installed on it.
The CVS tree is on a (much faster) i386.  I guess the shortest distance
between two points is to cross-build the Sparc kernel, install it, boot
it, copy over the tree, build the tools, build and install userland.  Did
I miss anything?

--jkl