Subject: Re: Does NetBSD supprts hebrew file names?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/2005 09:18:15
On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 02:40:04AM +0300, just me wrote:
> so.......NetBSD filesystem does not support non-ascii filenames......:\

I don't know the technical issues, so I'll just say that I cannot, for
example, ftp a file saved on a Windows machine with a Japanese name (SJIS)
and do anything with it from the command line on a NetBSD machine.  'ls'
just gives a string of question marks; I know no way to use commands like
'mv' or 'cp' on the file.  For Japanese anyway, fortunately the browser Lynx
has file manipulation capabilities, so I use it to deal with files named
in Japanese.  (I don't think it works for Hebrew.  However, there probably
are other filesystem manipulation utilities that are curses based.  Does
midnight commander have a non-GUI interface?)

Of course I am talking only about CUI.  I think you mentioned that you are
using X?  If so, I'm sure you will be able to get things working.

> is it hard thing to develop  ?

Probably VERY; that's why we don't have it. :)

(Off topic, but Solaris's handling of native language at the kernel/OS
level is truly amazing.  Even the error messages are all NLS. Almost
never does it crash the terminal emulator, which NetBSD does frequent
enough to make it really annoying.  Linux, also, is galaxies beyond NetBSD
when it comes to locale and charset support.)

--
henry nelson