Subject: Re: newsyslog defaults
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Braun <syn@sceen.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2005 21:14:13
--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:08:18PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I may fix it myself. No need to send-pr.

OK.

> What are the benefits with restarting from cron versus having newsyslog
> send the SIGUSR1? Or, in other words, what was wrong with using newsyslog
> with "many log files"?

There is a graceful restart for each logfile. If there are many of them, th=
is
can take quite some time, and prevent the service from being used. Using
cron to restart apache after some time (say 10 minutes) is better IMHO
since apache is restarted only once. And using the P flag prevents any log
content loss, since, as you said, the childs can still write to the old
log files until apache is restarted.

> I am looking at
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/dist/ipf/tools/ipmon.c=
?rev=3D1.6&content-type=3Dtext/plain
> and it only appears to have a handler for SIGHUP.
>=20
> This SIGHUP creates a new logfile and closes old logfile (and also for
> binarylogfile too).

Maybe this could get documented too.

I have all the informations I needed, thanks :-).

--=20
Richard Braun

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--