Subject: Re: newsyslog defaults
To: Richard Braun <syn@sceen.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2005 12:08:18
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Richard Braun wrote:

> That part is not well documented. Should I send a PR ?

I may fix it myself. No need to send-pr.

> > So for Apache, you would want to set the pidfile to the PidFile as
> > defined in httpd.conf and the signum to SIGUSR1 for graceful.
> > Graceful is good because you won't lose logs and you won't lose HTTP
> > service.
>
> Yes, that's what I was doing too, but as there are many log files, I now
> use BNZP, and restart apache with cron.

What are the benefits with restarting from cron versus having newsyslog
send the SIGUSR1? Or, in other words, what was wrong with using newsyslog
with "many log files"?

> My problem concerns more ipmon,
> since it's not clear if ipmon waits for SIGHUP or another signal to
> reopen its log file.

I am looking at
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/dist/ipf/tools/ipmon.c?rev=1.6&content-type=text/plain
and it only appears to have a handler for SIGHUP.

This SIGHUP creates a new logfile and closes old logfile (and also for
binarylogfile too).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/