Subject: Re: newsyslog defaults
To: Richard Braun <syn@sceen.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2005 11:24:28
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Richard Braun wrote:

> I'm trying to use newsyslog for non-syslogd daemons (like ipmon and apache).
> The man page doesn't describe the defaults used when no PID file and no
> signal is defined (which is the case for the default /etc/newsyslog.conf
> entries). Does someone know them, and also possibly give me a suitable
> line for ipmon ? Thanks in advance.

If not pidfile, then it defaults to _PATH_SYSLOGDPID.

If no signum is defined, then it defaults to SIGHUP.

So for Apache, you would want to set the pidfile to the PidFile as
defined in httpd.conf and the signum to SIGUSR1 for graceful.
Graceful is good because you won't lose logs and you won't lose HTTP
service.

Also use the "p" flag to not compress the .0 log file, since the Apache
children are still handling current requests -- so shouldn't compress file
in use.

(By the way, someone mentioned they may be integrating the improvements
from the various newsyslogs out there to add wildcard support, etc.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/