Subject: lpd error message.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2005 06:38:31
I am getting a rather opaque error message from lpd.  Maybe someone
can help.

Apr 20 06:07:12 cyclopes lpd[6021]: ps: job could not be printed (cfA003psocrates)

Does anyone know offhand what that message indicates is *causing* the
failure?

(This all used to work, but I changed some things around in my little
empire of a network, and it no longer works...(^&)

Mostly for the sake of separating the parts out, I have kept the
printing handled in a pipeline by several computers.  The pipeline
for printing looks like this:

The printing system can be any computer in my network.

Cyclopes is the box on which GhostScript converts PostScript print
jobs into printer-friendly data.

Prometheus has the actual printer attached.

This all used to work with a NetBSD 1.6 box (hermes) standing in
for cyclopes. Cyclopes is running 2.0.

I've got the spool directories created, etc.  I can't see what's
missing, and the error message doesn't really give any helpful clues.
lpd-errs contains the above-pasted error message (on cyclopes, of
course), and I can't see that there are any other errors on the
other computers, corresponding to that print job.

Does it make sense to anyone else offhand, or do I need to go read
the sources to figure out what the error message meant to say?