Subject: Re: Unable to print to parallel port printer
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2005 02:43:48
Christoph Leuzinger <chris+ml@westworks.ch> wrote:
> I'm unable to print to a HP DeskJet 540 on a machine running
> NetBSD-2.0.2/i386.
>
> When I execute "lptest 20 10 > /dev/lpt0" the printer feeds a sheet and
> then hangs forever with its status LED blinking.
>
> This problem occurs with the GENERIC kernel

The problem isn't in your kernel.  At least, I don't see how it could be.

You're sending only this much:

$ lptest 20 10
!"#$%&'()*+,-./01234
"#$%&'()*+,-./012345
#$%&'()*+,-./0123456
$%&'()*+,-./01234567
%&'()*+,-./012345678
&'()*+,-./0123456789
'()*+,-./0123456789:
()*+,-./0123456789:;
)*+,-./0123456789:;<
*+,-./0123456789:;<=

I don't see why the printer would eject the page; it might just be waiting
for more data.  If you press the button on the printer, does it print?  If
you send it a form feed (^L), maybe the magic page will jump out.

I set up two Deskjets about five years ago.  The only thing I remember
clearly (when you get to that stage) was needing a printcap entry that
added CR to every line.

--jkl