Subject: Re: Installing on a Linux box with SSH
To: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/2005 12:19:48
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:21:33 +0200 (CEST)
Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have SSH root access to a Linux box that booted from a CD.
>
> How to install NetBSD here? I have NO keyboard or serial console access,
> so the system must come up with a sshd permitting me to log in.
>
> I'd do like this:
>
> - Install in a qemu harddisk image, on a different machine
> - fdisk the Linux box, making a partition as large as the qemu image
> - dd image contents starting after partition table to the linux HD
>
> Hm. Will this work? Any better idea?
>
> Thanks
> Florian

If the system is using the grub as a bootloader, your "safest" bet would be
using adapting the xen how-to on the netbsd xen page

http://netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html

to boot netbsd as an unprivileged domain, and after everything is working as it
should, you could then make it either privileged, or just boot a regular
kernel via the grub. Of course, this would involve first changing your linux
kernel to one that supports xen as domain0.

When I used the word "safest" in quotes above, I used it ironically.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing