Subject: Re: tkinfo X resources
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/2005 08:52:14
On Apr 18,  1:10am, jklowden@schemamania.org ("James K. Lowden") wrote:

| christos@tac.gw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
| > In article <20050417231240.50b4ec9e.jklowden@schemamania.org>,
| > James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
| > >
| > >What, please, do I put in my .Xdefaults file to control the font in
| > >tkinfo?  It's none of these:
| > You can use editres to figure what resources to change.
|
| Thanks, Christos, I had tried that.  I followed these instructions:
| 	http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/xcustom.shtml
|
| When I choose "Get Tree" from the Commands menu, and click the crosshairs
| cursor on tkinfo, I eventually see "It appears that this client does not
| understand the Editres Protocol."

Ah, they don't use the athena widgets, that is why.

| I found the answer, though.
|
| In trying to track down tkinfo with ps(1), I noticed tkinfo is a wish(1)
| script.  I know, you old timers knew that.  Well, scripts, they can be
| read.  and sure enough a little searching led me to try these nifties[1]:
|
| Tkinfo*font: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-100-100-100-m-90-iso8859-1
| Tkinfo*Text.font:
| -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso8859-1
| Tkinfo*Text.background: White
|
| and all is well.
|
| --jkl
|
| [1] Of course it would be Tkinfo, with a capital T, right?  Just like
| xterm, with a little x.

It used to be the case that Capitalized names affected the class of the
application and small names the application itself. Maybe the application
is just called wish? And there is a way to change the application name
from the command line? Because altering the class properties will affect
every program using wish.

christos