Subject: Re: scsi disk generic HBA error after reboot
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/2005 04:31:36
On Apr 16, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 06:59:48AM -0400, Dan LaBell wrote:
>>> OK, I see the problem. The driver is ignoring the card's model or
>>> eeprom
>>> setting for negotiating sync/wide, because the checks are not at the
>>> proper
>>> place.
>>> Please try the (untested) attached patch
>> Cool, thanks.   AND it works!
>>
>> %dmesg | grep 'trm0\|sd[12]'
>> trm0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Tekram DC395U, DC315/U (TRM-S1040)
>> Fast20 Ultra SCSI Adapter
>> trm0: interrupting at irq 5
>> scsibus0 at trm0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
>> sd1 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS18Y, 0430> disk fixed
>> sd1: 17366 MB, 8154 cyl, 20 head, 218 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35566480
>> sectors
>> sd1: sync (50.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (20.000MB/s) transfers
>> sd2 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS18Y, 0430> disk fixed
>> sd2: 17366 MB, 8154 cyl, 20 head, 218 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35566480
>> sectors
>> sd2: sync (50.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (20.000MB/s) transfers
>
> Good. I'm commiting it and requesting pullups.

It's pr #29813
Filed after my first post to port-i386, about a month ago -- I really
could have included more info in that.

>> [...]
>>
>> Curious, when the drive spins up on the initial boot, the kernel
>> prints
>> out less
>> info,  actually <IBM, DXHS, 0430> disk fixed and no line about
>> geometry, was it just skipping the negotiation because it didn't have
>> enough info about the drive?
>
> Yes, this is quite possible
> But the kernel should spin up the drives and process with the normal
> identification and negotiation then. I have a 1.6.2 system with drives
> configured to not spin up at poweron, and it works as expected.
Well, in 1.6 it right under waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle,
in 2.0 It runs thru atabus drives, then atapi, then the scsi, I only
see the initial abbreviated drive info, the Check Condition line etc,
No: sd1: 17366 MB, 8154 cyl ...
No: sd2: sync (50.00ns ) ... on the first boot, when spinup is needed
-- the kernel
is getting this info, but not displaying it?  Is there a command that
will
display whether its sync 8 bit 20 MBs etc?  I can assume, that since it
works, it works,
but it would be nice to verify that its working the same way, whether
it needs spin/up
or not...

Regarding spinup,  I played around with jumpers some more, set it spin
up on power up,
(actually, I was confused, it's no jumper on autostart), this time I
took
all the jumpers off the converter and configured only with the jumpers
on the drive,
and confirmed that it would not work at all in 2.0 w/ the unpatched
kernel -- it would only work if it had to spin up... The patched kernel
works in both cases.  I was a little
concerned there could have been some jumper craziness going on between
the converter, the jumpers on the front of the drive, and myself ;-]