Subject: Re: upgrade from 2.0 to 2.0.2
To: Peter I. Hansen <pih@xbase.dk>
From: Rich Neswold <rich.neswold@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2005 09:52:50
On 4/15/05, Peter I. Hansen <pih@xbase.dk> wrote:
> What is the canonical method for upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2?

I'm attempting to do my first upgrade via source, too. I've put
together the following steps that I found by doing searches through
the mail archives, the Handbook, Google, and /usr/src/UPDATING.

My machine is currently rebuilding the userland stuff, so I'm not far
into the steps. However, I fully intend to follow through (unless
someone finds a glaring problem with these directions.)

I've already checked out the netbsd-2 branch into /usr/src. Once the
source has been updated, build the tools and a new kernel:

      # mkdir /usr/obj
      # cd /usr/src
      # ./build.sh tools kernel=3DGENERIC

Now rebuild the userland (replace ${TOOLDIR} with the directory that
was built in the previous step. On my system, it turned out to be
"/usr/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-2.0.1-i386" -- I'm assuming the 2.0.1 portion
of that directory is an oversight when 2.0.2 was released.):

      # ./build.sh -U -T ${TOOLDIR} -D /usr/i386build distribution

Next, install and boot the new kernel to make sure things work:

      # cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
      # make install
      # shutdown -r now

If the kernel looks good, install the userland that was built in the
earlier steps.

      # ./build.sh -u -U -T ${TOOLDIR} -D /usr/i386build install=3D/

The install finishes by running postinstall to test whether things are
out of date. It'll generate a list of "broken" things. Run the
following command, substituting the list given by the postinstall
command:

      # /usr/src/etc/postinstall -s /usr/src -d <LIST OF BROKEN THINGS>

Reboot the machine!

If you have a custom kernel, you can replace GENERIC with your custom
kernel name.

If anyone thinks there's a problem with any of these steps, please let
me know. I'll follow-up to this post if the steps change.

--=20
Rich

AIM : rnezzy
ICQ : 174908475