Subject: Re: system tuning to improve responsiveness
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: theo borm <theo.borm@wur.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2005 12:05:18
Rich Neswold wrote:

>On 4/13/05, Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:
>

>>The short answer is: Yes, I have been seeing the same thing.
>>
>>I also can see the problem in running shell commands if I ssh
>>into the affected machine from an unaffected machine.  So it's
>>not just in X handing events up and down, etc.
>>

>I see the same problem. I have a NetBSD/i386 v2.0.1 system running on
>a K6-2 w/768MB RAM. The system doesn't run X: I access it from my
>laptop. After reading Richard's description of the problem, I logged
>in to my system via ssh. I put a 'date' command into the shell's
>history and pressed the up and down arrows. When I saw a pause (which
>on my system lasts for 2 seconds), I printed the date.
>
>I did this for several minutes. The pauses occurred approximately 15
>seconds apart. Once in a while I'd get a pause a second or two after a
>fifteen second pause. The next pause would be 12 - 13 seconds later.
>
>I've set the media type on my network interfaces, as recommended in a
>recent email, but it hasn't helped.
>
>The only processes running (besides my shell and init) are ntpd, sshd,
>ipmon, cron, syslogd, dhcpd, lpd, and ifwatchd.
>
>I installed v2.0 in January. I don't remember when I first noticed the pauses.

I've tried, but have not been able to reproduce these issues :-(
It's getting weirder and weirder.

I /can/ reproduce the (probably unrelated) issues I'm seeing with
writing (and reading) large numbers of files, so I'll first follow
my first instinct and try to tune the vm/file-buffer system to see
if that helps.

Regards, Theo