Subject: Re: system tuning to improve responsiveness
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: theo borm <theo_nbsdhelp@borm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2005 11:49:09
Henry Nelson wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 04:45:52PM +0200, theo borm wrote:
>

>>The phenomenon I'm seeing is very intermittent - it can
>>(spontaneously) happen twice a minute or once a day, and
>>

>For me, it's not even every day.
>

>>there are a two orders of magnitude difference between a
>>nearly imperceptible (from my user interface point of
>>view ;-) ) 5 ms and half a second delay (very perceptible
>>when moving your mouse).
>>

>This sounds exactly like what I've experienced.  I'll be typing along
>in vi, and suddenly it's as if the terminal froze up -- for just a split
>second.  Or I'll hit a key in Mutt, and what always happens instantly,
>is delayed so long that I'll hit the key again.  This is strictly CUI
>stuff; no X, no mouse.  Very weird, but it's been this way for longer
>than I can remember.  Just one more thing to "put up with".

For me it started somewhere between 1.6.2 and 2.0. I can't remember
having seen it before 1.6.2. Around a year ago I had several machines
running between 1.4 and current, and I converted most to 1.6.3 and/or
a 2.0 beta version. In december I updated almost all machines again
to 2.0 release (and seeing the stuff done in 2.0.2, I'm inclined to
go through that again, even though the uprade process /is/ a bit of
a pain). I have had the issue on the desktop systems since, though,
as I didn't take notice of it at first, cant remember if it is 2.0
specific or was already present in 1.6.3.

cheers, Theo