Subject: Re: updating packages (fwd)
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: =?UTF-8?B?TWFyaWphbiBVbmV0acSH?= <marijan.unetic@epta.hr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/14/2005 15:32:55
Thomas Klausner wrote:

>Hubert sent me your mail.
>
>The questions are perfectly fine for asking on a list!
>
>On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:02:50PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>

>>I used Debian, and it has updates.
>>You published new pkgsrc release, is there somethin like update,
>>for previous release, or it doesn't work in that manner at all?
>>

>You can use e.g. pkg_chk to update, just cvs update
>/usr/pkgsrc to the branch you want to follow (or head) and do
>	pkg_chk -g (only needed once, or if you add/remove packages)
>	pkg_chk -r
>	pkg_chk -a
>There are some other tools that help too. Look in pkgsrc/pkgtools.
>

>>How can I safely use NetBSD for every day tasks,
>>primarly as a desktop, and perform some security updates
>>from time to time? Is there a term security update?
>>

>Install security/audit-packages; run download-vulnerability-list
>and audit-packages daily, so you'll know when you have to update.
>Then update /usr/pkgsrc and the rest is as above.
>

>>Or maybe NetBSD works other way, not simillar to Debian.
>>

>Yes, it's different. But I haven't used Debian much,
>so I can't tell you much about the details.
>
> Thomas

Thomas,

thanks on your answer.
I tried what you suggested, and it was running well.
The problems I found, is I had a lot of packages, and my link is slow.
Machine is not to fast as well.
That's the reason I was looking for a binary update.

Second problem is pkgchk.conf has strange order and packages
cannot be maked eg. gtk2 was removed and not added again before say
thunderbird.
I had to make this from pkgsrc tree, and restart pkgchk again.
I also tried -f fetch option so now I have all necessary sources.

But now pkgchk reports something while Applying pkgsrc patches for
Python23-pth-2.3.4nb3

patch: can't cd to /pkgsrc/lang/python23-pth/work/Python-2.3.4: No such
file or directory
patch: /pkgsrc/lang/python23-pth/patches/patch-aa failed

I tried to make from /pkgsrc/lang/python23-pth, without success.

What's wrong

Seems this package is a dependance of firefox.

Marijan