Subject: Re: system tuning to improve responsiveness
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/14/2005 21:36:28
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 04:45:52PM +0200, theo borm wrote:
> The phenomenon I'm seeing is very intermittent - it can
> (spontaneously) happen twice a minute or once a day, and

For me, it's not even every day.

> there are a two orders of magnitude difference between a
> nearly imperceptible (from my user interface point of
> view ;-) ) 5 ms and half a second delay (very perceptible
> when moving your mouse).

This sounds exactly like what I've experienced.  I'll be typing along
in vi, and suddenly it's as if the terminal froze up -- for just a split
second.  Or I'll hit a key in Mutt, and what always happens instantly,
is delayed so long that I'll hit the key again.  This is strictly CUI
stuff; no X, no mouse.  Very weird, but it's been this way for longer
than I can remember.  Just one more thing to "put up with".

--
henry nelson