Subject: Re: system tuning to improve responsiveness
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Rich Neswold <rich.neswold@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/14/2005 00:25:18
On 4/13/05, Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:
> The short answer is: Yes, I have been seeing the same thing.
>=20
> I also can see the problem in running shell commands if I ssh
> into the affected machine from an unaffected machine.  So it's
> not just in X handing events up and down, etc.

I see the same problem. I have a NetBSD/i386 v2.0.1 system running on
a K6-2 w/768MB RAM. The system doesn't run X: I access it from my
laptop. After reading Richard's description of the problem, I logged
in to my system via ssh. I put a 'date' command into the shell's
history and pressed the up and down arrows. When I saw a pause (which
on my system lasts for 2 seconds), I printed the date.

I did this for several minutes. The pauses occurred approximately 15
seconds apart. Once in a while I'd get a pause a second or two after a
fifteen second pause. The next pause would be 12 - 13 seconds later.

I've set the media type on my network interfaces, as recommended in a
recent email, but it hasn't helped.

The only processes running (besides my shell and init) are ntpd, sshd,
ipmon, cron, syslogd, dhcpd, lpd, and ifwatchd.

I installed v2.0 in January. I don't remember when I first noticed the paus=
es.

--=20
Rich

AIM : rnezzy