Subject: Re: A question about architectures
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Tracy Nelson <tmnelson@neb.rr.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/04/2005 20:15:49
Thierry Lacoste wrote:

>I'd like to study the low level details of modern OS features
>(Virtual memory, context switching, device drivers, etc...).
>Of course I plan to use NetBSD ;)
>
>I'm looking for the simplest architecture.
>I'm aware of the inherent complexity of these topics but
>I want to avoid "unnecessary" complexities (like those of i386
>which is so encumbered with legacy issues).

You might want to look for a 68K Mac.  They're pretty cheap, pretty
capable (I had an SE/30 that ran DNS, qmail and my firewall for years)
and the 68K instruction set is pretty clean.  You'll want a 68030 or
better (anything earlier than that didn't have an MMU built in), one of
the '040-based Quadras (900 or 700) would be a good pick.

Cheers!
-- Tracy Nelson