Subject: Re: "function 0 not configured"
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/2005 09:37:50
"Geert Hendrickx" <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be> writes:

> when I plug in my PCMCIA NE2000 network card into my laptop, the kernel
> says:
>
> PCMCIA LAN, Ethernet, A004743118001 (manufacturer 0xffffffff, product
> 0xffffffff) at pcmcia1,  function 0 not configured
>
> What's that?  Maybe the kernel has detected but not identified the card?
> Is there a way to tell the kernel to use the ne(4) driver for this card?

Given the 0xffffffff, it looks like the card memory may not be
properly mapped.  Laptops vary in what parts of memory space is
actually usable.

If you have cardbus bridges, you may need to set RBUS_MIN_START, or
look at cardbus(4) in up-to-date current (web man pages.  This may be
awkward, since the web man pages don't have it yet, so here's the new
bits:

BUGS
   Memory space conflicts
     NetBSD maps memory on Cardbus and PCMCIA cards in order to access the
     cards (including reading CIS tuples on PCMCIA cards) and access the
     devices using the RBUS abstraction.  When the mapping does not work, PCM-
     CIA cards are typically ignored on insert, and Cardbus cards are recog-
     nized but nonfunctional.  The location is machine-specific, and the
     default location does not work on all hardware.  On i386, the following
     kernel configuration line, which maps Cardbus space at 512M rather than
     1GB, has been found to make Cardbus support (including PCMCIA attachment
     under a cbb) work on some notebook models, including the IBM Thinkpad
     600E (2645-4AU) and the Compaq ARMADA M700:

     options RBUS_MIN_START="0x20000000"

Also, grep for RBUS_MIN_START in the kernel config files in
sys/arch/i386/conf/* and see the comments.  (Actually, I have a hack
in the kernel to set this to 0.5GB on machines with < 256 MB of
memory, so I can run the same kernel on a variety of hardware, but I
didn't send-pr this in because it's gross in multiple ways.)

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>