Subject: Re: A question about architectures
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/30/2005 15:05:24
hi,

> I'd like to study the low level details of modern OS features
> (Virtual memory, context switching, device drivers, etc...).
> Of course I plan to use NetBSD ;)
>
> I'm looking for the simplest architecture.
> I'm aware of the inherent complexity of these topics but
> I want to avoid "unnecessary" complexities (like those of i386
> which is so encumbered with legacy issues).
>
> I've already had positive advices about MIPS and Alpha ...
> are there other alternatives ?
>
> Concerning MIPS, what seems to be the "best" available
> machine (regarding simplicity of the processor and/or
> simplicity of installing NetBSD)?
> Is SGI a good choice? Indigo or Indy ?

there are also siemens machines like the RM200 which are 'nice' -- but
IIRC aren't supported (yet). to make this clearer i'd ask on the
port-sgimips or similar mailing list...

sgis -- i own a lot of sgi machines :) -- are *rock* solid (as all UNIX
machines should be :), and AFAIK NetBSD runs on O2 (R5000 and R10000),
but i haven't tried yet.