Subject: Re: strange resolving issue
To: Roberto <roberto.trovo@redix.it>
From: None <d.zanon@infinito.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/21/2005 13:31:13
On Monday 21 March 2005 11:00, Roberto wrote:
> According to me:
>  - ping should return "Host is down" when you try to ping a host on your
> LAN and the host does not respond;
>
>  - ping does not return any message if the host is on Internet and it does
> not respond;
>
>  - ping should return "sendto: No route to host" if the route table is not
> setup correctly (i.e. a route to the ip or default route is missed);
>
> What version of netbsd are you using? and Do you have enable a firewall on
> the host or on the gateway? please verify.

I'm using
NetBSD powerbook.serah.tvb 2.99.16 NetBSD 2.99.16 (DREAM) #5: Tue Mar 15
18:07:29 GMT 2005
with 2.99.16 userland.
According to what you say, ping has having a very unusual behaviour... I tried
indeed: on my 2.0/i386 system ping www.sgi.com doesn't display anything until
I Ctrl-C, on macppc it tells me ping: sendto: Host is down
Everything works perfectly on 2.0/i386
The only thing I can imagine in my deep ignorance is that some timeout values
are wrong. Is there any way to change them? :)

> Kind regards,
> Roberto

Thank you very much
david