Subject: Re: cloning tap device (was : qemu networking under -current)
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/2005 01:43:57
--LTfKIXC2arOZSm/V

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 12:41:23AM +0100, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> I removed every tap devices and 'MAKEDEV tap' again.
> Now I can open /dev/tap; I have no idea why it didn't work before.
> I'm sorry. I should have tested that before posting.
>=20
> But now qemu triggers a segmentation fault when I run it
> with the tun/tap network interface.
> Could someone please send me something to test my /dev/tap ?

qemu doesn't know how to use NetBSD's tap(4).  I still have to work
out a patch for it...

The "canonical" way of using tap(4) is to configure a tap interface by
hand, using ifconfig tap0 create for example, and any other ifconfig
command to have a working interface (that includes attaching it to a
bridge(4) device) and then doing something like:

qemu -tun-fd 3 [...] 3<>/dev/tap0

--=20

--LTfKIXC2arOZSm/V

--LTfKIXC2arOZSm/V--