Subject: usernames, access rights in rc.d
To: NetBSD-Help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Serban Udrea <S.Udrea@gsi.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/16/2005 10:04:50
Hello,

Two things which puzzled me recently:

1) I created a new user without initially receiving any warnigs, but the day after, there
was  a warning in the daily security report I get by email. It was about the fact that the
username is longer than 8 characters. Is this to be taken serious? I thought that nowadays
the limitation of usernames to 8 chars is history.

2) All scripts in /etc/rc.d have 555 permissions and /etc and /rc.d have 755 permissions.
Thus any user can at least try to execute scripts from /etc/rc.d. I thought that this
scripts are supposed to be run only by root.

Best regards,

Serban Udrea