Subject: Re: Looking for some next steps after initial install
To: Trey Sizemore <trey@thesizemores.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/09/2005 20:47:26
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:52:15 -0500, Trey Sizemore <trey@thesizemores.net> wrote:
> I did my NetBSD install per the manual (chapters 3 & 4) but my install
> appears to not exactly align with the steps provided.  I could not get
> access to packages via FTP (I assume because I'm using DSL and I read
> that PPPoE is not supported at install).  My machine now boots into
> what appears to be single user mode.  I was never given the option to
> configure time zones (my options during setup for timezones were blank,
> just the exit option), no prompting for root password selection, etc.
>
> This is a NetBSD 2.0 install on a Intel P4 box.  I'd like to get the
> install to the point that I can get a Desktop like KDE or Gnome up-and-
> running as well as access the internet.  I'm hoping someone will either
> point me to the documentation I've missed or am unaware of, or provide
> a simple how-to for getting to these next steps.

There is a man page you may find interesting, afterboot. Just type man
afterboot. It's got a lot of good stuff but you'll probably have to
read through some stuff you don't need to do.

It sounds like your install didn't complete. You shouldn't be in
single user mode and you should have set a root password. You can fix
this if you read afterboot. The first thing you'll want to do is edit
/etc/rc.conf and set RC_CONFIGURED=YES.

After that, keep asking questions. I've never used PPPoE so I don't
know how to help you there.

Andy