Subject: Re: No response when do lptest > /dev/ulpt0...anything else to try?
To: Mark Tamola <marktam264@hotmail.com>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/08/2005 14:54:43
--- Mark Tamola <marktam264@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for your kind suggestions.  However, I'm still unable
> print.
>
> I installed cups, per someone else's suggestions.  Using pksrc, I
> installed
> the cups, cupsomatic, and cupsomatic-ppds packages (in that order).
> I then
> copied the example cupsd rc.d script to /etc/rc.d, and did a
> /etc/rc.d/cupsd
> start.  It complained about $cupsd not set correctly, so I modified
> /etc/rc.conf and added "cupsd=YES".  I then did a /etc/rc.d/restart,
> and it
> started cupsd with no error messages/warnings.  I then opened up
> firefox and
> got onto localhost:631 to connect to the cups web admin server.  I
> began to
> configure my printer, but found that the driver for my printer, an HP
> PSC
> 1350 All-in-one, was not in the list.  So, I went onto
> www.linuxprinting.org
> and found the .PPD file for the HP PSC 1310, which was the closest
> one I
> could find.  I stuck the .PPD file in /usr/pkg/share/cups/model/HP.
> restarted cupsd and re-logged onto the cupsd web admin server.  I was
> now
> able to find the new driver for my printer, and so I selected it and
> completed setting up the printer.
>
> Now, the printer was fully installed and configured with cups (I
> think).  So
> I proceeded to try a test page and...nothing.  No lights blinking, no
> paper
> cranking, no response.
>
> I'm pretty sure the problems I'm experiencing are at a NetBSD driver
> level,
> as I can't even do a "cat textfile.txt > /dev/ulpt0".  It seems to me
> that
> the problem isn't even at the cups level, so I don't think it should
> even
> matter whether I use apsfilter, magicfilter, cups, LPRng, etc. so I
> don't
> think it would benefit me to go down the list trying each one.  I
> SHOULD be
> able to do a "lptest > /dev/ulpt0" or something really low level like
> that,
> so what's the deal?

Just because 'lptest > /dev/ulpt0' doesn't work does not really
indicate anything. It doesn't work on many inkjets as was pointed out
by someone else. It may in fact be too low-level for the printer to
understand.

Ghostscript supports the printer apparantly (the driver understands the
LIDIL language used by your printer at least), so I would agree that
the most likely problem is with the ulpt driver. The manual page for
ulpt suggests trying ulpn instead (no reset on open). You could also
try usbdevs(8) to see if netBSD is even detecting the printer. And of
course, check the cables etc. Does the printer show up in your dmesg?
Any messages when you plug it in/out?